THIS BLOG HAS BEEN CONVERTED TO A NEW LOCATION AT WWW.ANACORTEZ.COM

THIS BLOG HAS BEEN CONVERTED TO A NEW LOCATION AT WWW.ANACORTEZ.COM
CLICK ON THIS BANNER TO BE TAKEN TO THE NEW BLOG!

TRUSTING INTUITION


I am learning to approach life as a listening exercise. It is my continuing practice to "tune in" to all that is in and around me, just receiving. I want to honor the intelligence of the present moment, and lean less and less on the "logic" of the thinking and planning "me" that has held tyranny over my existence for lifetime upon lifetime.
Now I am here.
This morning brought an incident that confirmed so beautifully the wisdom in trusting instinct over logic.
Here's how it went.
I found myself at the gas station, as I have been planning to do this for a while since returning from a lengthy drive. Knowing my car as I do, I also knew that my oil would be low after my trip and had been planning to get both gas and oil in one efficient Phillips 66 swoop.
The morning was gorgeous. The temperature perfect and the sun shining. There was almost no one else at the station.
I got the pump going and sat back in my car, thinking about the oil. I needed to go inside the station to get it. Hmmm....
I didn't feel like it. I couldn't exactly explain it. "Tuning in" as I do, sometimes I will not go inside a gas station if I get any inkling of not feeling safe. This was sort of like that, and yet there were no other cars pulled up at the gas station so logic was not giving me any support.
"I should just go in," I told myself. "It's the perfect time to just go buy a can of oil."
I went to get out of my car and felt a subtle but noticeable resistance. I didn't feel like going.
"Okay. I am willing to honor my feeling." I thought to myself. "My car will probably be alright if I get oil sometime later."
I just sat in my car, trying to stay out of my head and just enjoy the experience of the present moment. I surrendered to just watching the numbers flip on the pump.
As I watched the gallon count nearing where I knew the capacity of my tank to be, I heard a new sound. It was the sound of gas pouring on the ground. I jumped out of my car and pulled the nozzle from my tank which was continuing to spout gas even though the tank was full.
Gas was everywhere.
I was finally able to manually shut the gas off and went into the gas station to let them know about the faulty nozzle. I felt fire in my blood but managed to remain kind and calm with the clerk behind the counter.
Driving away I had a realization. Had I not followed my instinct to stay in the car, as illogical as it seemed, I surely would have been inside the gas station when the tank reached full. Who knows how long the gas would have been spouting all over my car and the ground beneath my car.
Wow.
Not always do incidents such as this make sense to my mind so quickly in the aftermath, but it was great to have a good confirmation.
THANK YOU UNIVERSE!!!!

No comments: